The history of Coburn Memorial United Church dates back to 1888. The formal organization of the church took place the first Sunday in October 1890. The new church was a part of the Rowan mission circuit when first started, but in 1890 it became a mission station and was known as the Chestnut Hill Methodist Church. In 1896, the name again changed to Main Street Methodist Church then again to South Main Street Methodist Church. As the congregation grew and a desire to get away from the business section, traffic noises from the highway, the congregation considered plans for a new church. A new site at the corner of South Church and Chestnut Streets was purchased early in 1925. The name was changed from South Main Methodist to Coburn Memorial Methodist in honor of he pastor and founder. The building was not completed until 1928. The purpose of the church is not measured in bricks and mortar or in external beauty. It is the banding together to worship and learn about our Lord and the working together to love one another and care for all of His people. The people of Coburn dedicate themselves to this purpose. Coburn Memorial United Methodist Church celebrates 120+ years of service in Christ.